| Objectives, Deliverables, Milestones
The “Valuation” workpackage will provide valuation of coastal ecosystem products and services and thus of the benefits of sustainable management.
1. Compile or interlink (in collaboration with WP 1) economic and social databases relevant to fisheries and coastal resource management;
2. Undertake a comprehensive valuation of sustainable use of coastal resources by incorporating both market and non-market values;
3. Analyse ineffective management of coastal resources - incentive effects with economic and biological consequences (including non intended perverse effects of incentives);
4. Study the human dimensions of coastal resource use, and carry out social impact assessment for selected coastal zones;
5. Suggest policy options for sustainable fisheries and coastal management.
Description of work
We will compile and interlink market, non-market, social, and institutional data. We will use this database and state-of-the-art techniques to assign values to products and services of coastal ecosystems. This will allow valuation of sustainable versus non-sustainable management practices.
The results of the analysis in (1) to (4) above will be used to develop innovative recommendations for management of coastal resources that take into account the various ecological, economic and social tradeoffs that need to be in place to ensure that multiple demands on coastal resource are reconciled. The work will be couched on case studies in Africa and Asia, allowing us to explore and compare several distinct economic, political and geographical settings.
All WP participants will contribute to all deliverables.
||WP members, representatives of WP 1,7, 9;
Review valuation options, decide on a suitable approach, and assign tasks
||To assess findings and adjust actions